Thursday, November 03, 2005

sorrow for another's loss

Sabrina just called to say her friend who concieved by surprise after being told for a long time that she was infertile has lost the pregnancy.  She was very early on - less than 10 weeks - but it had become real for her.  Sabrina had said that her friend was looking for any positive energy anyone could offer when she found out she was pregnant, due to being high-risk by default, and I'd taken some extra yarn I had from an old project and started making a "healthy pregnancy, happy baby" blanket (it's hunter green, so most people wouldn't really think of it as a "baby blanket").  I had just put the final stitches on it and was getting ready to do the last finishing touches of weaving in the ends of the yarn when Sabrina called to tell me about her friend's loss.  Liam is laying half-asleep with the blanket right now, he's been playing with the squares the whole time I've been working on it (it's made up of 9 gigantic "granny squares").  I can only begin to feel what this woman I've never met must be going through as I look at my healthy, happy toddler.  I was just telling Garvin last night how sometimes it hits me exactly how blessed I am when I look at Liam, how the knowledge that other women do not concieve as easily as we did, go through pregnancies as relatively uneventful and birth so "easily", and even if they do how lucky we are to have such an easy-going (even though "high need") child as Liam is.  It's quite likely we were having that discussion as this other woman was in the progress of miscarrying.

I'm holding this dear friend of a dear friend in my thoughts today, wishing the joy I have in motherhood to be a bond she and I share some day.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but connect this in my mind to Jasmine's roommate, who recently had an abortion. Jasmine- and by extension, I- have been worried about it for about the same period of time as this woman's pregnancy.

Knowing that all things are interconnected, I can't help but think that my abortion-related thoughts around your blanket may have helped to tip the ballance against it. Or is that a self-centered idea?