Friday, March 09, 2007

Finished gift baby blanket


Here's a picture of the baby blanket I completed last night (not for our baby, for a friend's baby - not naming names in case the recipient reads this blog by any chance). The center sunflower is from a pattern I found online (the link to which is on the other computer so I'll have to edit to include it later - photograph is on the home office computer). The original square pattern did not have leaves, I created those and then had to figure out how to add the blue around it to keep the effect. It has a 3-dimensional aspect to it that doesn't photograph well - the flower petals stick up and the tips of the leaves curl inward (intentionally). The brown center of the sunflowers use a puff-stitch for dimensionality also. Yarn used was Caron Simply Soft in "chocolate", "lemonade", "dark sage", and "berry blue". It wound up requiring slightly more than one skein of blue, but there's enough of all the other colors to probably make another blanket (which I may, though edged in yellow instead as there's not as much green left).

I'll get instructions up sometime in case folks want them (and so I can refer back to them if I forget how I did it!).

Oh, and whenever I make a 9-square baby blanket, I usually leave openings around the center square to thread the carseat buckles through - this one has those holes but they don't show up in the picture (there's one at the center of each straight side of the middle square). The blanket is a bit on the small side (haven't measured it but I'm pretty sure it's not quite 30 inches), good size for a car blanket or to drape over a carrier carseat while transporting a sleeping baby in bright daylight, or for laying on a baby sleeping in your lap... but not "crib sized". I rarely make crib sized blankets (partially because my kids don't sleep in cribs so I'm not actually certain what the dimensions are, partially because they take more yarn ;) ).

I can be "commissioned" to make similar blankets pretty easily, feel free to ask if you you or a friend is expecting. I work prayers for the health and joy of the child into every stitch.

edit: The original square (sans leaves and the adaptions I had to do to make it square again after that) is at http://www.geocities.com/snflwr1105/GrandmasSunflower.html