Monday, January 28, 2008

Del's a growing boy

Garvin's got a bad cold (most likely viral according to the doctor) and asked me to make him an appointment. I tagged along with Del so we could weigh him since I haven't bothered to make his 6mo well-baby checkup since he's doing fine and we're delaying vaccinations, so a $15 copay seems a bit of a waste just to weigh and measure the kid and chat with the doctor (who I really like and enjoy spending time with outside the office - we're both Potterheads). They don't mind me coming in and weighing Del on my own and mark in his chart how much he weighs when I do that. I usually forget to measure him, but he's growing out of his clothes so I'm pretty sure his growth isn't stunted or anything (he's currently wearing a lot of 9-12mo stuff, generally fits his torso length and has long enough legs to keep from riding up enough to expose bare flesh to the cold weather while being carried about). So, Del's gained about a pound since I last weighed him between Xmas and New Years (I *think* it was the day he was 6mo), when he weighed 18lbs 2oz. He weighed 19lbs 2oz today and was 26.24 inches long (took the time to measure him on the exam table between when the nurse did Garvin's intake and when the doctor came in to see him since I knew where she keeps the measuring tape). According to the WHO breastfed baby boys chart, he's about a standard deviation above the mean in weight. All the stupid online calculators that give you percentages seem to be using the CDC ones that are primarily formula fed babies so they aren't giving an accurate percentile (saying 49th percentile I think). Del is also working hard on learning to crawl, he gets up on all fours and rocks back and forth, sometimes intentionally lurching face-first to the floor repeatedly to propel himself forward inchworm-style. He's very good at maintaining a sitting position and has been since around New Years (was sitting up before then but leaning on his hands). Now he's also working on trying to get from a laying down position to a sitting position - if he's semi-reclined (say, leaning back on the boppy or my arm) he can usually get up to sitting by himself, and he rolls to the side and tries to push himself up but hasn't quite managed it yet.

Just wanted to make sure I remembered to record this SOMEWHERE since I'm horrible at remembering to record things where I'll find them again. Clare, looks like borrowing the carrier carseats from us will be NO PROBLEM - they only go up to 20lbs, at this rate Del will grow out of them well before Monkeypuzzle arrives.

No comments: