Friday, August 10, 2007

Three wishes and horror stories

I've got the Food Network on for Liam (he's become a huge fan of "Man Cook" aka Alton Brown) and the related commercials. There's this stupid commercial for the local cable monolith where the wife comes home to find the husband has just made three wishes from a genie - all for the cable co's products of course - and the wife is thrilled about it. Ick. While this commercial was on I was browsing through emails to one of the email lists I'm currently active on and one of the women on the list was family friends with a family in which it appears the wife/mother has just murdered her husband and two young sons, the elder of which had been the email list poster's child's first friend. It hits hard, stories like that, especially with the connection to this other family. I don't know how I would react if something horrific happened to a family I care about (not that I would ever dream that either spouse in the families we're friends with would ever be capable of such a thing!).

The commercial being on got me thinking about all the sci-fi stories about "three wishes gone wrong" even when people wish for universal/world peace and such (which usually turns into the world/universe becoming a police state with severe infractions for any transgressions). So I've thought about what my three wishes would be. I wish them for the whole world, but especially for anyone reading this.

I wish every being in the universe to feel personal, unconditional love from at least one other being.

I wish every being in the universe to experience complete emotional contentment on a daily basis.

I wish every being in the universe to care at least as much about others as they do about themselves.

Liam insists he needs company to potty, gotta run.

3 comments:

liz said...

all those wishes are great, but I particularly love the last one. I wish everyone could just treat everyone else with respect, imagine how that would feel?

Serena Castells said...

I'm home from my trip; I may be visiting tomorrow. Need to catch up from the past few weeks.

Serena Castells said...

New post on my blog you might find interesting.