Tuesday, June 21, 2005

AP-Friendly lullaby from the UU Hymnal

I love my church... stumble upon some really neat things in the hymnal sometimes, this included... I came across it a couple months ago when I was looking for songs for one of the services (didn't wind up using it that time tho), and it's been stuck in my head (already knew the melody - it's one Holtz sings on "Angel").  I like the UU hymnal lyrics (from "Singing the Living Tradition) better than the traditional ones, being a heathen and all...

putting it here so I can find it again later, since I'm not sure if anyone is actually reading this barely-ever-updated-pathetic-excuse-for-a-blog...

The words were adapted by Alicia S. Carpenter and (c)1990.

Sleep, My Child
Sleep, my child and peace attend you
all through the night
I who love you shall be near you
all through the night
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping
hill and vale in slumber sleeping
I my loving vigil keeping
all through the night

Mother, I can feel you near me
all through the night
Father, I know you can hear me
all through the night
and when I am your age nearly
still I will remember clearly
how you sang and held me dearly
all through the night

While the moon her watch is keeping
all through the night
while one-half the world is sleeping
all through the night
Even while the sun comes stealing
visions of the day revealing
breathes a pure and holy feeling
all through the night


So much more pleasant to sing to your baby as s/he nurses to sleep than "Rock-A-Bye Baby"

1 comment:

Running2Ks said...

Yes, I know that one. I have it on one of my daughter's lullaby CDs. I adore this song!