Thursday, March 26, 2009

Easter Egg Roll WOOT!

So my obsessive-compulsive... er... PERSISTENT... button mashing finally yeilded results. I don't know who the moron was who decided that releasing tickets to an event geared toward elementary school aged children ON A SCHOOL/WORK DAY was a good idea (hint guys, there's a reason that these have traditionally been released the Saturday before) but after feeling a little forlorn about my chances of scoring any tickets at all when I realized at 8:05am this morning that they'd been released (and snatched up rapidly) at 8am (while I was dealing with an extra kid, one of Liam's classmates' moms had a substituting job this morning and her hubby is out of town, so I said I'd take him to school for her, I've been carpooling him to his grandmother's house after school this week - yes, those of you who knew me in high school reading this, I'm still the queen of the carpools, tho I make sure there are enough seatbelts and booster seats for my passengers now). Anyway, after obsessively checking the site throughout the day, I happened to hit it at just the right time and scored tickets for the 4 of us to the Group D (1:15-3:15 I think) section. I'd been putting off making firmer travel arrangments (and plans for other things to do while in the area) until after I was sure we'd have the tickets to get in - if we hadn't, we still would have come down but I was thinking of maybe coming for the following weekend as a long weekend instead.

Now we need to figure out where we're spending Easter Day, up here in Cleveland or down in the DC burbs with our old friends who haven't seen Liam since he was a month old and have yet to meet D (err... some of them might not even know he exists as I'm rather bad at sending out the holiday cards... as in, 2008s are still mostly sitting around here somewhere, not quite sure where I stuck them but I guess I'll mail them out now with this news LOL).

Here's the screen cap so you know I'm not foolin' - I "redacted" the order number and my email address so someone doesn't try to steal my hard-won tickets.


Note to any administration folks who might stumble upon this - next year, do a lottery. Allow submissions online and via regular mail so that people without internet access aren't cut out (er... classism anyone?). Require that they send in a picture of all the people who will be attending (photocopies accepted) to limit scalping potential and visually verify there are children at least of approximately appropriate age in the picture since there allegedly has to be a child under 10 in each group.

Now I need to pester them even more about the handicap accessibility issues... wheelchair + lawn area + two small children = this should be interesting....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you know that we'll be in the DC area on Easter weekend?

Amanda said...

How cool for you.

Ahmie said...

no, I didn't. We still haven't entirely decided when we're heading down ourselves - trying to decide between Easter Morning/Lunch up here in Cleveland, or visiting with whoever isn't out of town themselves in Virginia at our old UU church there. I'm personally leaning toward asking folks at the church to organize a calmer gathering elsewhere during the week so we can socialize more fully (and their RE wing isn't handicap accessible, harder to keep fussy D from making a disturbance during services with the building layout). I don't think "surprise! let's visit!" on a major holiday is a good way to get quality time with people we miss, personally.

Guessing you're going to visit your relatives in the area? How long are you staying down there? I am still trying to find out handicap accessibility for the Egg Roll, if we can convince them to let another adult come in with us to assist with the children/me, would you be interested? I would be much relieved if it was someone who knows the kids well instead of just whoever we can find in the area, espeically with Liam in crowd. Otherwise the kid is going to be restrained the entire time so he doesn't go join another family or something. We can accomodate our own needs, but not optimally.

Ahmie said...

oh, hi Amanda - we were commenting at the same time (well, I was commenting longer due to climbing baby slowing me down).

Unknown said...

I'm possibly going to be making a side-trip to central VA to visit my people down there, and will likely want to spend as much time as I can with people I rarely see; Dad's gonna be helping his parents with taxes (which is the main "excuse" for the visit), but you might ask Mom. We'll be there from Friday to Sunday, not sure of exact times.

Ahmie said...

The egg roll is the Monday after Easter, so that won't work anyway since you guys will be coming home when we're likely heading there (I'm leaning toward Easter service at WSUUC then driving down in the afternoon). Oh, well, it was a thought. Have a wonderful time with your people :)